Saturday, March 16, 2019

business insider

business insider


Netflix's 'One Day at a Time' viewership was on the rise, but not enough to save it from being canceled - INSIDER

Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:14 PM PDT

  • Netflix canceled "One Day at a Time" on Thursday, tweeting, "not enough people watched to justify another season."
  • Data provided to Business Insider from analytics company Jumpshot shows viewership for "One Day at a Time" was steadily rising over its three seasons.
  • But the show never reached 1 million viewers in the first week of release for a new season, and viewership was below other Netflix shows that have also been canceled, like "Jessica Jones."

Netflix canceled "One Day at a Time" on Thursday, saying it was a "very difficult decision" not to renew the series for a fourth season on Twitter. The streaming giant said that "simply not enough people watched to justify another season."

Data provided to Business Insider by analytics company Jumpshot backs that up.

The data shows viewership for "One Day at a Time" was steadily on the rise from season to season, but still not enough to save it from cancellation. Jumpshot estimated the first season gained 382,000 views in it first week of release; the second season was viewed 481,000 times; and the most recent third season had 647,000 views in its first week, up 34% from season two.

READ MORE: Netflix's 'The Punisher' viewership is down 40%, but there's a sliver of hope for fans of the Marvel show

Some other Netflix shows got more viewers but were still canceled.

"Jessica Jones," which Netflix canceled last month, reached over 3 million views in the first week after season two was released last year, according to estimates by Jumpshot.

Unlike "One Day at a Time," Netflix's "Friends From College" declined in viewership in the first week of release from season one to season two. But the first season was viewed a little less than 1 million times in the first week (the second season dropped to 508,000 views), Jumpshot estimated. Netflix canceled the series last month, shortly after the second season debuted.

Netflix rarely releases official viewership numbers for its content, but when it does, it's for mega hits like "Bird Box," which it said was viewed by 45 million accounts in its first week in December, a record for a Netflix original film. It said its creepy thriller series, "You," was viewed by 40 million households in the first month. And it said that its hit British series, "Bodyguard," was viewed by 23 million households in the first month.

The chart below breaks down the numbers:

Jumpshot

5 female-founded venture capital funds to know — and the popular women-led startups they've invested in - Business Insider

Posted: 15 Mar 2019 09:51 AM PDT

Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.

The faces of entrepreneurship are changing. In 2017, there were 114% more women-owned businesses than 20 years prior. Between 2016 and 2018, the number of black-women-led startups doubled. Data from Lance Surety Bonds found that immigrants are almost twice as likely to start their own business as are their US-born counterparts.

All of this makes sense. Diversity matters in the workplace, and not just for the reasons we already know, like having a greater pool of lived experiences to build from. According to McKinsey, businesses with diverse workforces typically perform better financially, too.

Still, the venture capital (VC) world is overwhelmingly male-dominated. According to a recent study by Axios, women account for just about 9% of investors across U.S. venture capital firms. And, while female entrepreneurship is growing at a rapid rate, women are still not getting as much VC funding as their male counterparts. A BCG study found that while enterprises founded by women were given about half the investment as those founded by men, the female-founded companies generated double the amount of revenue than their male equivalents.

The gender investment gap is real, but it's clear that female entrepreneurs are still succeeding despite this. The good news — for investors and entrepreneurs alike — is there are plenty of women out there making it their job to get great female-founded businesses the funding they deserve. March is Women's History Month, so it feels particularly fitting to celebrate the intelligent women making waves in the VC industry.

Keep reading to learn more about five female-founded VC firms and the cool startups they've invested in:

I got an inside look at Hudson Yards on opening day. Here's what the glitzy neighborhood is like, from the $200 million climbable sculpture to the 7-story 'vertical shopping experience' - Business Insider

Posted: 15 Mar 2019 04:54 PM PDT

Hudson Yards, New York City's $25 billion megadevelopment, officially opened on March 15.

The public can now visit the brand-new neighborhood on Manhattan's West Side, which includes luxurious residential towers, a luxury shopping center with stores like Louis Vuitton and Dior, and a $200 million, 150-foot tall climbable sculpture called the Vessel.

I went to the grand opening ceremony at Hudson Yards and spent the day there. Here's what it looks like.

Apple's searing response to Spotify's EU antitrust complaint - Business Insider

Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:51 AM PDT

Apple has torn into Spotify in a response to the music streaming service's EU antitrust complaint.

In a long statement published on its website, Apple laid out why it thinks Spotify wants to keep all the benefits of a free app on the App Store, without being free.

"After using the App Store for years to dramatically grow their business, Spotify seeks to keep all the benefits of the App Store ecosystem — including the substantial revenue that they draw from the App Store's customers — without making any contributions to that marketplace," Apple said.

It comes after Spotify announced on Wednesday that it had filed an antitrust complaint against Apple with Europe's competition watchdog, arguing that the way it runs the App Store is anti-competitive.

CEO Daniel Ek complained in an open letter about the fact app makers have to hand over 30% of paid apps, in-app subscriptions, and purchases to Apple.

Read more: Here's why Spotify is declaring war on Apple and not Google

Apple said it felt obligated to reply when Spotify "wraps its financial motivations in misleading rhetoric about who we are, what we've built and what we do to support independent developers, musicians, songwriters and creators."

On Spotify's central complaint about the 30% tax on in-app purchases, Apple said the streaming service "left out" the fact that this levy declines to 15% after the first year. It added that only a "tiny fraction of their subscriptions fall under Apple's revenue-sharing model."

"Spotify wouldn't be the business they are today without the App Store ecosystem, but now they're leveraging their scale to avoid contributing to maintaining that ecosystem for the next generation of app entrepreneurs," Apple said. "We think that's wrong."

Apple lashes out at Spotify's treatment of musicians

Apple also went one step further, attacking how Spotify treats the musicians on its platform, claiming the company makes "ever-smaller" contributions to artists.

"Underneath the rhetoric, Spotify's aim is to make more money off others' work. And it's not just the App Store that they're trying to squeeze — it's also artists, musicians and songwriters," Apple said.

"Just this week, Spotify sued music creators after a decision by the US Copyright Royalty Board required Spotify to increase its royalty payments. This isn't just wrong, it represents a real, meaningful and damaging step backwards for the music industry."

Spotify did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

Tech firms are scrambling to keep dozens of copies of videos showing the New Zealand mosque shootings off their platforms - Business Insider

Posted: 15 Mar 2019 05:31 AM PDT

Facebook, Google, Twitter, and other major tech firms are battling to keep distressing footage of a gunman firing on two mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand, from appearing on their platforms.

The Friday attack left at least 49 people dead and 49 injured.

You can read the full story here.

The New Zealand police have not named any suspects in the attack, though one man is said to have been charged with murder.

A man identifying himself as a 28-year-old Australian named Brenton Tarrant is thought to have posted a livestream of himself carrying out the attacks.

That footage was posted to Facebook. Accounts linked to Tarrant also shared a 74-page document on white-supremacist themes seeking to justify the attack.

The New Zealand police have asked the public not to share distressing video related to the shootings.

Facebook told INSIDER on Friday morning that it had removed the original livestream and the account it was posted from. It has also deleted an Instagram account.

Twitter likewise suspended Tarrant's account.

HuffPost reported that the document was first posted to the online messaging board 8chan and Tarrant's now-suspended Twitter account.

Deletion hasn't prevented others from ripping and uploading new versions of the video and manifesto.

Business Insider was easily able to find the video reposted to YouTube and Facebook from other accounts. Each video had a warning of graphic content attached, but that doesn't prevent users from clicking through and watching the footage.

We were also able to find links to Tarrant's extremist manifesto through Twitter and Google.

Copycat footage appearing on YouTube.
Shona Ghosh/Business Insider/YouTube

Part of the issue is that users are getting around social-media moderation with minor manipulation of search terms.

They are, for example, uploading Tarrant's manifesto and livestreamed footage and captioning it with a misspelled version of his name.

Google removed the reposted video after it was flagged by Business Insider. Facebook acknowledged a version of the video found on its site by Business Insider.

"Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and the community affected by this horrendous act," a Facebook spokeswoman, Mia Garlick, said. "New Zealand Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video.

"We're also removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter or shooters as soon as we're aware. We will continue working directly with New Zealand Police as their response and investigation continues."

Facebook is using a mix of technology, user reports, and human reviewers to catch videos or other violating content related to the incident.

Twitter confirmed it was proactively taking down copies of the video. "We are deeply saddened by the shootings in Christchurch today," a spokeswoman said. "Twitter has rigorous processes and a dedicated team in place for managing exigent and emergency situations such as this. We also cooperate with law enforcement to facilitate their investigations as required."

A Google spokeswoman said: "Our hearts go out to the victims of this terrible tragedy. Shocking, violent, and graphic content has no place on our platforms, and is removed as soon as we become aware of it. As with any major tragedy, we will work cooperatively with the authorities."

Social-media firms are not the only ones under fire. Newspaper websites including MailOnline, The Sun, and the Daily Mirror were criticized for hosting parts of Tarrant's manifesto or edited footage of the original livestream.

No comments:

Post a Comment